Use of Private Vehicles
- While the use of private vehicles to carry out school related business should be avoided - particularly the transport of students - it is recognised that at times staff members and parents are required to use their own private vehicles for school purposes.
- To ensure any use of staff or parent private vehicles for school related purposes comply with Department of Education and Community requirements.
- There are times when staff may request to use their own private vehicles to carry out school related business.
- There are times when staff may request parents to support an excursion by using their own private vehicles to carry out school related business.
- When establishing such routines or arrangements, it must be understood that the principal does not have the authority to direct staff to use their own private vehicles.
- When a private vehicle is used to transport students, the parent/guardian of each student must be advised of the name of the driver/s and requested to provide written consent for their child to travel in a vehicle(s) driven by the named driver(s).
- The principal must ensure that any vehicle used for the transport of students is currently registered and insured, and that the driver holds a valid driver's licence. These documents must be copied as part of the excursion policy and kept at the front office.
- Accurate records of which students are travelling in which vehicles must be kept in case of a road accident.
- Any vehicle used in connection with the school program or any school function must have a comprehensive insurance policy.
- Approval for reimbursement of travel expenses is the decision of the Principal.
- All appropriate alternative modes of travel must be sought prior to an individual using their own vehicle.
- This policy will be reviewed as part of the school's three-year review cycle.
This policy was last ratified by School P&C in 2014