- The effective and efficient management of an emergency situation where imminent flooding is a possibility and likely to affect the safety and well being of students, staff and school visitors.
- The school is required to maintain a current emergency management plan, which takes into account the possibility of localised flooding. This flooding may have the impact of isolating the school and preventing parents and transport companies from reaching the school.
- To provide a safe environment for all, where effective communication is provided to students, staff and parents.
- The flood management plan will be consistent with advice provided by the Department of Education and similar authorities.
- The flood management plan will be displayed on the school website for parents and the wider community to access.
- DP (Ryan) will monitor BOM radar weather advice throughout the day and liaise with the Principal and (SAM). DP (Ryan) will also monitor livetraffic.com.au website for road closure updates.
- If weather has remained inclement and there is a threat of flood, the Senior Executive and the (SAM) will meet at the most appropriate time to assess the situation and make a decision.
- If the local area is under threat of being isolated by flood, DP (Ridgway) will organise for the gymnasium to be set up with seating and the placement of a loud speaker system. HT PDHPE will assist. Principal (Clapham) will provide information to students in English, HSIE, Support and Maths classrooms. DP (Ryan) will provide information to students in Art, Tec, PDHPE and Science classrooms. The (SAM) will contact the bus company to further assess the situation.
- FACEBOOK coordinator (Tegan Hatfield) will update information on the school FACEBOOK page. The (SAM) will arrange for SMS to be sent to parents. (see wording below) Local media/radio stations will also be contacted (SASS).
- Principal (Clapham) will contact Regional Office and Director and inform them of arrangements.
- Head Teacher Maths and Head Teacher Science will meet at front gate to direct bus and car students to the gym. Head Teacher TAL, HT VET and HT TAS will help supervise in the gym.
- DP (Ryan) will continue to monitor updated weather and traffic information and liaise with DP (Ridgway.)
- HT Admin, HT English and HT Welfare will organise the orderly departure of students from the gym ensuring that sign-out protocols have been followed.
- Principal (Clapham) and DP (Ryan) will liaise with the (SAM) in the front office to manage Parent arrivals and communication requests.
This policy will be reviewed as part of the school's review cycle. The Flood Management Plan will be reviewed annually by the WHS committee.
This policy was last ratified by the P and C in April 2015
SES – 132, 500
WAVE FM – 4275, 2965
I98FM – 4223, 4198
ABC Radio Wollongong – 4224, 5011
Regional Office – 4267, 6111
Premier Illawarra – 4271, 1322
Wording for SMS -Due to chance of flooding at APHS, parents are requested to collect students from school gym immediately. All students will need permission to be signed out.
Message to Students in classes - Students who drive to school or catch buses are asked to assemble in the gym when the bell rings. Students who drive are to contact their parents and seek permission before they leave the school. Students who walk/ride home will need "text" permission from parent/guardian. This text must be verified by a staff member before leaving.
Radio Announcement - Due to the chance of flooding, parents are requested to collect their children from APHS gym as soon as possible. Please park responsibly and carefully.